Useful guidance to the ADR process.

How does ADR work?

When you make an application, WATRS will ask the Consumer Council for Water (CCWater) to confirm that:

  1. Your dispute remains unresolved, and
  2. The CCWater mediation/investigation has been completed within the last 6 months.

If CCWater confirms that they’ve completed a mediation or investigation on your behalf within the last 6 months, your application can go ahead. If you already have a WATRS Option letter, please give the date of that letter on your application form.

Should you wish to progress your complaint to WATRS, CCWater can complete your application for you. All you need to do is sign the documents, and CCWater will send all the documents to WATRS for further review.

Download the PDF guidance documents here.